Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bells For Thursday



I am overwhelmed.

When Anvil first suggested others might want to join in and celebrate my final chemotherapy by joining with me in ringing bells, I expected maybe ten people. Twenty at most.

Not hundreds.

But hundreds it is and from all around the world: Canada, the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Spain, Britain, Brazil, India, Indonesia, Asia, South Africa, the Caribbean and undoubtedly many other places as well. Just look at some of their names listed on the sidebar to the right. Or better yet, go visit their blogs where many of them are also celebrating.

People are ringing cow bells, school bells, door bells, church bells, temple bells, bike bells, cell phone bells and even playing YouTube videos of bells ringing.

I'm thrilled to have you all with me and truly humbled by the response and the support. I know many of you are also ringing for family and friends who have also been touched by cancer and I salute you and I will be ringing for them as well.

On Saturday Linda and I took my family out to celebrate my oldest daughter's and her husband's Birthday (their birthday's are only 3 day apart) and at dinner my wife Linda gave each of our grandchildren presents as well. When they opened their presents they discovered they had each been given a bell to ring, along with all the rest of us Thursday at 2 pm (those are their bells in the photo above).

As many of you know my 90 yer old mother was rushed to hospital on Valentine's day after a series of falls at her Retirement Home. Her condition has continued to decline and she was moved to Palliative care this afternoon. So my own bell ringing, while joyful, and loud, will be tempered by an awareness of the fragility and preciousness of life.

Please listen for me ringing that bell at 2 pm and I promise to listen for you as well!

With deep appreciation,

Barry