Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Photo Shoot Out--Graveyards

I've accepted a challenge from Patty to post photos of our local community every Friday. This week's theme challenge is to post photos of graveyards in my town.

There are links to all the Friday Shoot Out participants from around the world at the bottom of my left panel. Maybe you'd like to join us as well and post photos of your community? If you do, let me know so I can add your names to the list.

I live in Toronto, in the Scarborough area of Toronto, in the West Hill area of Scarborough. So West Hill will be the focus of my photos.
***************************************************************
Although the choice of topic seems a trifle inappropriate in light of my doctor's diagnosis yesterday, I have no one but my self to blame, since I was given the choice of topics by Patty several weeks ago. I still think I chose well and that graveyards makes for very interesting photographs.

We have three cemeteries in the West Hill area. The first is the smallest. The Wesleyan Cemetery holds some of the earliest pioneer families and sits in the midst of a small shopping plaza besdie a mural depicting the construction of some of the earliest buildings in the area painted on the wall of a local restaurant.























St. Margaret-in-the-Pines Cemetery is the largest in West Hill and also dates from the earliest pioneer days. St. Margarets Anglican Church was the first church built in West Hill back in the early 1800.




















Nestled comfortably in the heart of a quiet neighourhood of West Hill stands one of the largest Indian mounds to be found in an urban setting. Within the Taber Hill osuary nearly 500 people of the Iroquois nation have rested for over 700 years. The site is peaceful, dignified and profoundly spiritual.